Monday, April 6, 2020

The Corona Pandemic Weeks 2 & 3


So I had planned to blog about the Coronavirus once a week, but I have already failed at blogging again as it's been over 2 weeks since my last post.  So here is my attempt again!  I am going to make a blog post each Saturday because Sundays are spent doing tons of schoolwork to prepare for each week of At Home Learning (AHL) for my students.  So here goes.


Week 2
I decided to write some letters of encouragement to my seniors.  Made a personal letter to each one and put a picture in each letter.  I used all of the stamps that we had left so I hope that doesn't come back to bite us later.  I assume we can probably purchase stamps online.  A couple of the seniors sent me a message thanking me after they received it and let me know how much they appreciated it.

Starting on Monday, March 23rd we began our adventure into At Home Learning for our students.  Just reviewing material at this point, but using Schoology and posting assignments.  Each department at the school was given one day of the week to be able to go up to school and have virtual office hours for our students.  Just have to be near a computer and available to answer any questions our students might have.  So we don't have to go up to the school.  On that first Monday I went up to get some things.  It was hard seeing my classroom with the same agenda on the board that we were supposed to do on Monday, March 16th and how everything was just sitting there waiting for us and our students to come back. :-(  We also decided on this day to make a video to bring a smile to our students.  So we each recorded ourselves smiling, waving or dancing and all the clips were put to the song "Smile" by the Sidewalk Prophets.  Here is my video clip that I ended up not using. :-)


Then we also found out that schools would now be closed thru April 10th (Good Friday). So more planning for teaching into overdrive.

On Tuesday, March 24th, Brazos County ordered us into a Shelter in Place for 2 weeks.  So that drove the school's decision to stay closed until April 10th.  Our days are now filled with cooking, puzzles, tennis, bike riding and working out and REPEAT!  LOL!!












And cookie decorating, yardwork, car washing, chalk drawings and more!!







Easter is coming and we are trying to remember where our hope lies.  It gets hard sometimes when there seems to be no end in sight for this pandemic.  I even resorted to this when I got gas.


 Week 3
It feels like it's getting harder and harder to get the kids to do their schoolwork (and just review still) and I am leaving the house less and less.  It doesn't help when it is rainy and cold outside!!  We have had several instances of the return of winter lately and when going outside is sometimes the only thing keeping us sane - it makes it hard!!  Our newest niece, Annabelle Rose, was born this week on April Fool's Day.  The only people that could come to the hospital were Mark & Sarah.  No special visitors at the hospital for her big arrival!



And on the other end of the spectrum my precious grandmother is probably on her last days.  MawMaw has been falling a lot lately and is not doing well ever since they isolated the residents at the tower where she lives.  So they are having to move her to a nursing home (which are hotbeds for the Coronavirus) so I worry what will happen to her after that.  She is 96 and frail.  Praying she doesn't suffer or catch the virus and can live in peace at the nursing home.

We found out on Tuesday, March 31st, that schools are ordered by the governor to be closed thru May 1st.  So now the earliest we can go back to school is May 4th and I'm starting to think we won't go back at all.  The principals are working hard to offer new dates & locations and alternate dates for prom and graduation.  I hope these seniors get to celebrate both.


We shall see what the coming Holy Week holds for us as they expect the Pandemic to be at its worst this week.  There is even talk of this going all the way into September.  Lord save us all!


No comments: